Artwork above OCB door

miamijimf

Did they actually film the OCB parts inside that building or was that at a stage somewhere?

They did not film in the building.

• 10 months later...

the 615 onOn my profile the numbers 615 they are cast aluminum that were on the building I have them ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, interesting frieze above the Gold Coast Shipping (OCB) door. All I can find are long distance shots of the building or closer shots of half the frieze. I have looked at a lot of episodes but the best view I have been able to capture so far is below. Thanks,Eingefügtes Bild

• Like 2

On my profile the numbers 615 they are cast aluminum that were on the building I have them ' date=',,,,,,,,,,,,,, interesting frieze above the Gold Coast Shipping (OCB) door. All I can find are long distance shots of the building or closer shots of half the frieze. I have looked at a lot of episodes but the best view I have been able to capture so far is below. Thanks,[img']http://www.miamiviceonline.com/photoplog/images/16/medium/1_PDVD_006.jpg
It's awesome that you have this numbers, this is one hell of a great item to have.No chances that you be selling these?

I was lucky one day when I took a friend down to show him the building. They were just starting to work on the building to prepare it for demolition but everything was still intact. We gave ourselves a grand tour of the first and second floors. We got a few looks from the workers but kept going along like we belonged there. It was a fun trip even though it was not the interior we see in Vice. They really should have at least kept two main exterior walls up and incorporated them into the new building.

• 5 months later...

I was just thinking about the OCB building facade and had a good 'laugh' upon reading that the developer was going to either recreate or preserve the facade.Anyone know if this was ever done, or was it a bunch of lip service which, er, sometimes happens with developers?I think I know the unfortunate answer, but thought I'd ask anyways.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I was just thinking about the OCB building facade and had a good 'laugh' upon reading that the developer was going to either recreate or preserve the facade.Anyone know if this was ever done, or was it a bunch of lip service which, er, sometimes happens with developers?

No, it was never done.  Here's what's really obnoxious about that:  the new condo was designed by Arquitectonica, the firm that designed the Atlantis condo (the building with the hole in it that is seen in the MV title sequence) and the Pink House (No Exit, Mirror Image).  While this firm no doubt had good credentials before being featured on MV, the publicity of being on MV catapulted them to a new level of recognition.  They should have been more respectful of what Mv did for them and insisted the developer follow through on the plan.

And even if Arquitectonica had no MV connection, as architects based in Miami they should have some respect for an Art Deco landmark, given how meaningful Art Deco is to the city's style.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
21 hours ago, Bilders said:

That slippery bastard developer never kept his promise. I'll never forget that.

Shame they should have kept that small front section 

• Like 1

Makes me think of the old expression, "Don't get mad, get even."  We could write to the Miami Herald, the TV stations, and the Chamber of Commerce and tell them the story.  If one of them picks up the story the negative publicity might embarrass the developer and encourage them to do something.  It's a big maybe of course.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Makes me think of the old expression, "Don't get mad, get even."  We could write to the Miami Herald, the TV stations, and the Chamber of Commerce and tell them the story.  If one of them picks up the story the negative publicity might embarrass the developer and encourage them to do something.  It's a big maybe of course.

I like the sound of that fighting spirit, Jim!

10 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Good point Jim - they should have saved the iconic entrance !