Why was Ferrari annoyed by the fake-daytona?

Vincent Hanna

I never understood the reasoning behind trying to sue because they passed off a corvette as a ferrari. They do it all the time in movies, it's make believe. Instead shouldn't they have congratulated MV for making the Daytona Spyder so popular? The car was like 15 years old at that point.(i spotted a Daytona in the movie "the long goodbye" though, that was pretty cool)

It would be like someone complaining because they dubbed over the Bren ten gunshot sound or the (fake)Daytona engine to make them sound more cinamatic.

How many people in the 80s knew it was fake in the first place? It's real to me damn it. xD

Ferrari produces cars in limited editions and it sells some cars to select buyers only. Imagine how many people wanted to buy a car like the one in MV only to find out it's out of stock, obsolete, unavailable etc... All of which looked bad for Ferrari.The fact is that their trademark was infringed by the fake car and they had no way of benefiting from it. With testarossa this changed as they could sell a car from the popular tv show.

This may not be the whole reasoning but I'm pretty sure I summed it up.

Ferrari produces cars in limited editions and it sells some cars to select buyers only. Imagine how many people wanted to buy a car like the one in MV only to find out it's out of stock, obsolete, unavailable etc... All of which looked bad for Ferrari.The fact is that their trademark was infringed by the fake car and they had no way of benefiting from it. With testarossa this changed as they could sell a car from the popular tv show.

This may not be the whole reasoning but I'm pretty sure I summed it up.

Good point, i think the Mcburnie cars were sold to the public but i still think the exposure of the car being on a hit series was pretty much free advertising. But then again Italians love their cars and Ferrari want that upper class appeal. They don't want regular folk driving them around willy nilly.

Good point, i think the Mcburnie cars were sold to the public but i still think the exposure of the car being on a hit series was pretty much free advertising. But then again Italians love their cars and Ferrari want that upper class appeal. They don't want regular folk driving them around willy nilly.

I think Ferrari were following sound business practice in protecting against trademark infringement.  If left unprotected it can enter the public domain, meaning you lose control of the trademark.

The daytona was the last V12 ferrari that america got before the re introduction of ferrari to north america with v12's in 1984 until the testarossa hit and Enzo personally took it upon himself to be involved with the design process of the body, notably for the first time since he worked with the guy he got angry at the designer Leonardo Fioravanti

when he came up with this

Eingefügtes Bild

which looked like a Nissian 240 Z replica of the car, mixed in with an e type, complete with 3 tail lights, that has been changed since then to two.

and this was the last of the front engined V12 supercars they made that could break 160, a supercar GT car basically in the face of the flying concept car, the lamborghini miura, and then the countach in 1973, which outside of the body was basically just a fixed miura.

and it was the last really fast GT car they made until the 1990's with the 550, after enzo's death, the last V12 Front Engined V12 flag ship.

so in addition to that the ferrari daytona replicas were commisoned by a notorious grey market importer by the name of markadian, the guy that Tom Cruise's person is based on in Rain man, who imported grey market ferrari's and lamborghini's any way he could, and also chopped off and added flares to a perisocpe LP 400 countach and gave it to rod stuard

Eingefügtes Bild

which used to look like this originally

Eingefügtes Bild

Eingefügtes Bild

and well ferrari was never a fan of grey market importers and that caused more than a few people to try and start and make their own cars instead of dealing with him, such as with the Monterverti High Speed and the Iso Grifo

Eingefügtes Bild

so basically his baby was being coppied and he probably felt cheated about it, and by a grey market importer yet again, and ontop of that enzo ferrari started wearing sunglasses all the time, and who always had a pair of shades on most of the time

Sonny Crockett so not only was he probably a vice fan, he also saw his prized car basically getting cheapned and ready for mass production to not make it special anymore on a show he was a fan of

hence why they stepped in and put an end to it, even though the production numbers of the replicas, the V8 ones is sub a 1000.

and that the first 5 cars were not kit cars, and that would have been it until Vice found and used the forth car as a camera car/stunt car for the real datyona they were going to use

only to have that fall out from underneath them, forcing them to use Car 4 exclusively along with aquiring the prototype car, car 1.

and the rest is history.

Edited by Kavinsky

Ferrari didn't care about the advertising, or they would have cooperated with the production of MAGNUM, PI. I think Ferrari went after the McBurnies because they felt it 'cheapened' their product. I really think the only reason that Ferrari provided a car to MV was to get them to ditch the replicas. They didn't do it with any other production.

And the replicas were not worth the work to get them off the market, which is why the replica Ferrari market still exists. I believe the thought was to make an example of the Daytona replicas (at considerable expense) and hope it had a ripple effect.

I know Carl told me the lawyers who went after him in court were highly paid and billed many hours. They went through a trial and then Carl appealed to the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.

Edited by jurassic narc