Don Johnson on Miami Vice's 30th Anniversary

mvnyc

Don Johnson on Miami Vice’s 30th Birthday: We Had no Film Permits, But We Had Fun!

Eingefügtes Bild

Don Johnson (left) and Philip Michael Thomas: To look was to be on Miami Vice! (NBC photo)

MIAMI — Thirty years ago this summer, NBC started broadcasting Miami Vice, a shoot-’em-up series often credited for putting Miami on the entertainment and fashion maps.

Now, an aging Don Johnson, who became a household name as cop Sonny Crockett alongside Philip Michael Thomas‘ Ricardo Tubbs, reminisces on the good old day when the cast and crew filmed without permits, and in peace.

“What we were doing was unheard of in terms of network television,†Johnson tells Moviefone. “We were coming to this as a group of guys who, a lot of times, didn’t even realize you needed to get a film permit. . . . And so we would put on the screen what excited us, what was fun for us, and if that translated, then great.â€

Well, it translated all right, in one of history’s biggest network series – changing Johnson’s life forever.

Eingefügtes Bild

Don Johnson, looking a little different these days (Splash News photo)

“Back then we had a little bit of privacy,†says Johnson, who’s now 64. “But that was the beginning of there being zero privacy for me.â€

And to this day, Johnson claims he didn’t even see all of the 2006 movie Miami Vice, starring Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx.

“I saw some of it.†Johnson says. “I didn’t think that was one of (director Michael Mann‘s) best efforts.â€

Edited by mvnyc

DJ is right! The 2006 movie was not one of Michael Mann's best efforts. The fashion, glamor, dialogue & great music was missing from the movie.

The fashion, glamor, dialogue & great music was missing from the movie. 

Well of course you can't duplicate nor copy the magic that Vice had.  :p

Edited by Markwey

Definitely agreed, guys. Mann's movie is NOT Miami Vice.

If you have time, have a look at my post titled "The Last Big Missed Chance" to get an idea of what it could have been.

PS Markwey, you have the coolest avatar here ;-)

It's a shame that the 30th Anniversary seems kind of ignored so far in the press and media. I knew better than to expect say a Blu-ray release or something (catch the hint, Universal?) but I haven't heard this many crickets chirp since I first screened the 2006 movie with friends.

DJ agrees with all of us the movie was not great MV so very true it was missing so many elements that's for sure.Don still looks good if any of you saw Cold In July and his interviews still Mr. :cool: MV made history and we will celebrate that in September :balloon:

• 2 weeks later...

He has been very complimentary about MV and acknowledges it was his defining role !! :D

I love that about DJ.  He's made a little fun of some of the clothes in the past, but that's pretty much it.  It's great to see an actor who doesn't think he's 'too cool' to acknowledge what made his career.  How awesome that DJ continues to appreciate the show in much the same way we do.  The style, the clothes, the way it was made...groundbreaking, groundbreaking, groundbreaking.  Even to this day!  

Edited by CharlieGlide