What song shouts MIAMI VICE to you?

Tony D.

You may remember that you heard some songs played on Miami Vice........but what song or songs actually scream Miami Vice to you?

What first comes to mind to me is "In the Air Tonight" or "You Belong to the City"...........but on second thought my pick would have to be  :shout:  :shout:  :shout:  :shout: :

" Smuggler's Blues"

Glen Frey's lyrics are a perfect description of the essence of the whole Miami Vice Series!

Especially, the lines :

"No matter if its heroin, cocaine or hash....

You've got to carry weapons,

'cause you always carry cash....

Man, I love Miami Vice....after all these years, no other show moves me like it! :clap:

• Like 5

Land of confusion by Genesis because good and bad are very blurry in Crockett's and Tubbs' world

Lyrics:

Superman where are you now

When everything's gone wrong somehow

The men of steel, the men of power

Are losing control by the hour

Too many men, too many people

Making too many problems

And Not much love to go round

Tell me why this is a land of confusion...

• Like 1

When I listen to The Brazilian I always get this picture of Crockett and Tubbs getting ready to take down some big coke baron or just cruising the highway of Miami at night.

A very exotic and somehow dark Genesis instrumental that I think would have worked greatly within an more dramatic episode of Miami Vice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgJWgJ1477o

The Chameleons made some great albums back in the 80s but sadly never got their big breaktrough.
Swamp Thing has this huge build up along with an almost haunting atmosphere and out of all their material this song feels like it belongs in the world of Miami Vice.

• Like 1

When I listen to The Brazilian I always get this picture of Crockett and Tubbs getting ready to take down some big coke baron or just cruising the highway of Miami at night.

A very exotic and somehow dark Genesis instrumental that I think would have worked greatly within an more dramatic episode of Miami Vice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgJWgJ1477o

The Chameleons made some great albums back in the 80s but sadly never got their big breaktrough.
Swamp Thing has this huge build up along with an almost haunting atmosphere and out of all their material this song feels like it belongs in the world of Miami Vice.

The Brazilian did have a memorable turn in Magnum PI, when it seemed that series was trying to emulate (for a time) the musical and dark style of Vice in a few episodes. It was played in its entirety in one scene.

The Brazilian did have a memorable turn in Magnum PI, when it seemed that series was trying to emulate (for a time) the musical and dark style of Vice in a few episodes. It was played in its entirety in one scene.

Yes Tonight Tonight Tonight also from "Invisible Touch"  :D  :thumbsup:  :fireworks:  :cake:  :radio:

quite frankly this:

or even Don Henley - sunset grill, but the videos of that keep getting taken off of youtube for some reason, I guess some corp exec wants some extra polish for his rolls or something. or wants that 1000 dollar car wax for his bald mr Burns head.

and I can always imagine someone rolling down the street during a red sunset in a daytona to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozwy3Q9pi2U

Edited by Kavinsky

Hi all I am back after a 5year (or so) absence.  So many gr8 song but for me ... since RED TAPE was my favourite ep ... the ending song Closer To Heaven si symbolic.  Even the opening sequence ... wow that scene when Rico goes into the building with Viggo & LD Phillips ... classic.  Glad to see Magic Guitar man still in the forum ... talks oon old friend

• Administrators

At 12:30am, I randomly decided to turn on the radio to a station I like to listen to sometimes, and In The Air Tonight just started, which was awesome. 

After that, these two songs played and I thought "These would suit Miami Vice".

• 2 weeks later...

First one that came to mind is Glenn Frey - You Belong To The City, but Tony D. mentioned it already. If I really need to get into a Miami Vice mood and into a partying mood, The Pleasure Seekers by The System is the song that I'd listen. For some reason I associate that song with drinking Havana Club rum.

Brothers In Arms also came up. That song would remind me of Miami Vice because of the powerful scene it played in the background of.

Now I got two other songs that scream Miami Vice to me: Godley & Creme - Cry and Madonna - Gambler.

I just can't listen to "Cry" without thinking of the episode and the very scene it was in.

"Gambler" was used in the episode "The Fix" and it was an instrumental version which was extremely suitable to the scene and feels very "80s" with its happy fast-paced synth tunes. This gives me some kind of unexplicable pink-neon-80s-Miami-Vice feeling.

• 1 month later...

Hi all I am back after a 5year (or so) absence.  So many gr8 song but for me ... since RED TAPE was my favourite ep ... the ending song Closer To Heaven si symbolic.  Even the opening sequence ... wow that scene when Rico goes into the building with Viggo & LD Phillips ... classic.  Glad to see Magic Guitar man still in the forum ... talks oon old friend

"MCINTYRE!  I WANNA TALK TO YOU!"

Man, I love Red Tape.  That scene with Closer to Heaven is perfect.  A little slo-mo...the gun shots into the deck.  All of it.

Great call.

One song that I've really been in to of late is "You Only Left Your Picture" by Fashion, used in Evan, where Sonny asks Tubbs for forgiveness in the night club.  You can barely hear that song, but it's so smooth and affective.  I love it.  

I drove home from Vegas last weekend, late at night because 1)  I miss a lot of traffic and 2)  I really get into blasting my Vice songs in the car as I drive.  Something Vice-like about driving in the dark on a lonely, open road.  

I play that Fashion song and it immediately transports me to 1984/5.  I swear I can smell it.  I flashback to who I was at that time, and think, in flashes of a party or where I was living.  The sound of that song is so distinctive to both Vice and the mid-'80s.  Brilliantly comforting.

"I Want To Make the World Turn Around" is another song I've been playing.  Reminds me of how I felt/feel with my wife's passing.  I explained as much in my Angels baseball forum this weekend.  "I don't wanna live in a world of darkness..."

THere's some great tunes in this thread, some of which I haven't heard before.  I love it.  More songs for my playlists.  Keep 'em coming!

Edited by CharlieGlide

• 10 months later...

"Bad to the Bone" - George Thorogood

It's nowhere near my list of favorite MV songs.  But without question this is the song that gives me the most intense flashback when I hear it.  I suspect the reason is that "Nobody Lives Forever" was re-aired by NBC many times, maybe the most of any ep in S1.  NLF is one of the eps I most clearly remember from the NBC days.

In The Air Tonight, What's Love Got To Do With It, and, of course, Smuggler's Blues :cool:

I agree with your choices.  I would like to add one of my favorites, The Pointer Sisters song, I'm So Excited. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

"What's Love Got to Do with It?" by Tina Turner.  Crockett and Tubbs heading back stateside on the cigarette boat over and through the waves after giving Calderon a dirt nap and Tubbs alienating Angelina (for a while, anyway).

I love "Baba O'Riley" at the beginning of "Out Where the Buses Don't Run."  I don't know, just kinda sets the tone for an episode that keeps you from getting comfortable.

• Like 1