El Rey Network Buys Rights To "Miami Vice"

mvnyc

El Rey Network Acquires Rights to 'Miami Vice'; Series to Join Network's Schedule in January 2015

via press release:

EL REY NETWORK ACQUIRES RIGHTS TO ‘MIAMI VICE,’

THE ICONIC ‘80s COP SHOW THAT REDEFINED THE GENRE

Slick, Stylized Series From Award Winner Michael Mann Joins

El Rey Network's Schedule in January 2015

Beverly Hills, CA – July 10, 2014 – El Rey Network has acquired the rights from NBC Universal Television & New Media Distribution to air all 111 episodes of the Emmy Award® winning series “Miami Vice†it was announced today. From Emmy Award®-winning and Academy Award®-nominated writer-producer Michael Mann, the series, which celebrates its 30th anniversary this fall, became appointment viewing on Friday nights and launched a national fashion trend inspired by the cool whites and colorful pastels worn by lead characters, Detectives James Crockett (Don Johnson) and Ricardo Tubbs (Philip Michael Thomas).

“Miami Vice,†which debuted on NBC in 1984, will join El Rey’s line-up beginning January 2015. Viewers will see Don Johnson in his breakout role, decades before his turn as Sheriff Earl McGraw in El Rey Network’s first original scripted program, “From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series.† “Miami Vice,†which ran for five seasons, made its mark on the television landscape in part thanks to executive producer Mann’s influence on the cop drama’s look and cinematic feel. The rights extend through December 2016. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

“‘Miami Vice’ the perfect addition to our lineup. Produced by acclaimed filmmaker Michael Mann, it was groundbreaking when it first hit the air and the series' distinctive cinematic look and feel reinvented the cop drama. It's absolutely one of my personal favorites and it will find a whole new audience through El Rey,†said Robert Rodriguez, the network’s Chairman and Founder.

About El Rey Network

El Rey Network is a new 24-hour English language network founded by maverick filmmaker Robert Rodriguez. Curated by Rodriguez and his artistic collective, the network unites the most culturally diverse generation in history through fearless, badass and original content that awakens the renegade in everyone. The network's action-packed content is anchored by original signature dramas, feature films, grindhouse genre, cult classic action, and horror/sci-fi. El Rey Network LLC (www.elreynetwork.com) is jointly owned by Robert Rodriguez and FactoryMade Ventures with a minority stake held by Univision Networks & Studios, Inc.

Edited by mvnyc

I guess this explains why I havent seen it on on the bounce/vibe channel on 220 for Verizon Fios for awhile.

hell I'm suprised Me TV hasnt got the rights to it considering they seem to have everything else here in Boston.

• Administrators

This is fantastic. Two shows with Don Johnson on one channel.  :)

Robert Rodriguez should consider getting the rights off NBC to make a new Miami Vice series, or perhaps he's already planning to.

Don Johnson, who was in From Dusk Till Dawn, an El Ray original series, could possibly reprise the role of James Sonny Crockett, but as a guest star in some episodes since he quit the force.  :thumbsup:

Edited by SL1DE
  • Like 1

This is fantastic. Two shows with Don Johnson on one channel.  :)

Robert Rodriguez should consider getting the rights off NBC to make a new Miami Vice series, or perhaps he's already planning to.

Don Johnson, who was in From Dusk Till Dawn, an El Ray original series, could possibly reprise the role of James Sonny Crockett, but as a guest star in some episodes since he quit the force.  :thumbsup:

Bring Miami Vice back!!

• Like 1

with how Robert Rodrigues has been acting and working as of late, I'd be hessitant to have him spearhead the return of vice.

as the last movie of his that I liked was sin city about 5 years ago and I just have a bad feeling about the new one coming out soon, however given the nature of TV and the episodic nature of a program that would have different directors and writers per episode with a show runner supervising the show.

it could work.

Unfortunately El Rey is a Low Def network channel on Comcast (thus far) so you won't see DVD quality video on the re-broadcasts.

It will be like it was on Centric, except without the world's dumbest commercials.  :)

I've got El Rey Network here in full HD, so I'm curious to see if they'll be upconverting the episodes, will let you know...

Edited by mvnyc

I'm thrilled to see the reruns continue.  Thank you for the great info mvnyc!

You're welcome, Susanna Girl, I'm curious to see how they will look and sound this time around, 30 years later... 

• Like 1

• Administrators

with how Robert Rodrigues has been acting and working as of late, I'd be hessitant to have him spearhead the return of vice.

as the last movie of his that I liked was sin city about 5 years ago and I just have a bad feeling about the new one coming out soon, however given the nature of TV and the episodic nature of a program that would have different directors and writers per episode with a show runner supervising the show.

it could work.

Well, it looks like he's a fan of the show, seeing how he got a license to air it. The only way a reboot will work is if the people in charge are fans of the original.I enjoyed Machete Kills, I think. And From Dusk Till Dawn was a good series, for what was originally a movie.

Edited by SL1DE
  • Like 1

Well, it looks like he's a fan of the show, seeing how he got a license to air it. The only way a reboot will work is if the people in charge are fans of the original.I enjoyed Machete Kills, I think. And From Dusk Till Dawn was a good series, for what was originally a movie.

I believe Tarantino also is a huge fan of Miami Vice  :D

• Administrators

I believe Tarantino also is a huge fan of Miami Vice  :D

Can you imagine what it would be like if Tarantino made the new Miami Vice?  :D Tarantino knows "cool".

Tarantino wrote Django, which also has DJ in it. :)

Edited by SL1DE

• 2 weeks later...
  • MIAMI VICEEingefügtes Bild

Coming 2015: Don Johnson in a white suit, cops who drive Ferraris and Elvis, the drug-sniffing guard gator. Miami Vice, an iconic crime drama from famed Executive Producer Michael Mann, defined 80's cool. Follow Crockett and Tubbs as they infiltrate Miami’s seedy underbelly and take down the bad guys all while bumpin’ to that New Wave beat.

http://www.elreynetwork.com/#/vault/iconic-tv

Eingefügtes Bild

• Like 1